Saturday, October 12, 2013

Twenty-Five Things About Me


Working on this Ultimate Blog Challenge, I've run across a number of "what to blog about" lists and suggestions.  Most are great, and have prompted even more ideas as I apply the suggestions to my own life and interests.  This "list" was one of the suggestions, and as I was looking back over it I realized each of these 25 things could be yet another blog post!  So provided I can get into and maintain the habit of blogging every day--or at least every other day--I have enough material for MONTHS!  Woo hoo!

1. I’m adopted.
2. I hate being cold. And anything below 65 degrees is COLD!
3. This is my 25th year in business. I established Contemporary Concepts on April 14, 1984.
4. I love good landscape photography.
5. I got my first grey hair at 23. My hair color has been out of a bottle ever since!
6. I’ve always had a powerful attraction to the number 8.
7. I’m very right-brained, and I think in three dimensions (hence my innate ability to create beautiful pieces of jewelry…? But don‘t ask me to draw anything more complicated than a stick figure.)
8. It makes me crazy to see advertisements or billboards (or anything else, really) with words misspelled. Get a dictionary, people…and PROOFREAD!
9. My favorite author is Orson Scott Card. He sucks me into a book so deep that I absolutely CANNOT put it down until I’m finished reading it. I’ll also read anything by Roger Zelazny or Michael Crichton.
10. My favorite colors are green, purple, and yellow, in that order. Any combination thereof is also highly appealing.
11. When I was younger, I wished I had been born a brunette with brown eyes. And that I was taller and thinner. In the last several years, though, I have come to terms with all my “imperfections”…yes, ALL of them!
12. Sometimes I wish I had finished my college degree.
13. I’ve never had a broken bone.
14. I really hate being wet. I’m not a big fan of swimming, and when I shower I always dry off immediately.
15. My son Ricky was conceived through in vitro fertilization, and I gave birth at the ripe old age of 40! No morning sickness, I only gained 16 pounds, and my labor was about 5-½ hours from start to finish. An awesome experience!
16. The downside of being pregnant at 40 was that everything that was going to sag, droop, spread, or otherwise go to hell in a hand basket as I got older, did so…quickly and irreversibly! Consequently I now wear bifocal contact lenses and my feet are a full size bigger than they used to be. (I’ll let you take a wild guess at what sagged and drooped!)
17. Ricky was over a year old before I realized that diaper packages come with a perforated side that you can easily rip open. Now there was a “duh!” moment!
18. It blows my mind that I’m going to turn 54 this year! Inside my head I still feel about 28. Only maybe a little wiser!
19. I am mesmerized by moving water: ocean waves, small creeks, even my washing machine and jewelry tumbler. But I especially love waterfalls. (Have you ever seen pictures or video of the Iguazu Falls in South America? Breathtaking!)
20. I love penguins and giraffes.
21. I have a tattoo of a seahorse on my right ankle.
22. My favorite flowers are yellow roses.
23. I love the smell of pine needles (like Christmastime!) and orange blossoms.
24. When I was younger I enjoyed traveling. At one point or another in my life I’ve visited 36 of the 50 United States. Nowadays I’m the consummate homebody--there’s no place I’d rather be than home.
25. My husband is nearly 10 years younger than I am. Grab ‘em young and train ‘em right, I always say!

--------

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this post! You and I do share some similar characteristics - I'm a jewelry designer, only as a hobby now, as I am now a full time weight release coach. My favorite color is green, I hate being cold and really hate being cold AND wet! LOL. I, too, had a child late in life, I was 37, however my labor was anything but quick. (You lucky thing!) I too, grew up wishing I was taller and thinner! And I also noticed many changes to my body after having my son, one of which may just be TMI for this public post, haha. Have a beautiful day, loved your post.

I sure hope I spelled everything correctly. ;)

bookworm said...

You do have enough material here for a months worth of blog posts. I do want to find out more! May be a bit challenging to work in information about your business on some of these topics but - if you try it, it may end up being fun. I also enjoyed your post from a few days ago with the "old" and "new" building picture. Good luck with your blog! Visiting from the UBC, Alana.

wiregems said...

Maryann-- If you lived closer I'm sure we could be great friends! Not only do we appear to have a lot in common, but I could sure use a weight release coach! I've added you to my circles on Google+ (which I don't do much with...yet...but am trying to learn more about).

bookworm-- Check back occasionally. I sure do plan to use some of these things for future posts. And I accept the "challenge" of trying to relate them to my business more!