Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Traditional Birthstone List


Traditional Birthstones:
January - garnet
February - amethyst
March - aquamarine
April - diamond
May - emerald
June - alexandrite, pearl, moonstone 
July - ruby
August - peridot
September - sapphire
October - opal, pink tourmaline 
November - topaz or citrine
December - turquoise, zircon, tanzanite


This is not the "ancient" list, nor the "zodiac" list, nor the "modern" list.  Parts of those are the same and parts are different.  (No idea why!)  I've been in the jewelry business for more than 30 years, and these are the stones I learned back in the beginning, and that I've always associated with the months.  The "traditional" birthstones.  Except for, I have to admit, the tanzanite, which was just designated by the American Gemological bigwigs as the "new" birthstone for December only about 5 or 6 years ago.  But it's gorgeous and it's one of my most favorite stones, so I'll happily add it to my "tradition"!

--------


1 comment:

The Rare Gem LLC said...

Thanks for sharing the meaningful information through this article. Keep writing...Genuine Alexandrite